On a November Sunday in 1918 the flag on St. Peter’s Church was flown at half mast. That afternoon a muffled peal was rung in honour of the village lads whose lives had been lost serving their King and Country.
Like many other communities residents collected money to commission a permanent monument. The result is the Scotter War Memorial, an obelisk of Portland Stone designed by Kenneth Eyre and built by Herbert Dorrington of Gainsborough. Situated on The Green in the centre of the village it was unveiled by Major Molson M.P. on 15th May 1921. Reverend John Blew took the service and Scotter Brass Band, under the baton of Alfred Harsley, accompanied the singing.
The north face lists the thirteen villagers who sacrificed their lives in the Great War (1914 to 1918) while the other three sides show the names of eighty men who served in, and survived the conflict. After the Second World War (1939 to 1945) eight more names were added to the Northern face to commemorate the Scotter men who had died.
In the autumn of 1983 the monument was refurbished by R. Wallace and Son of West Butterwick. Unfortunately mistakes were made when trying to read the names for re-engraving. Three errors on the north face were corrected in 2007 but there are still more on the other sides.
Conservation of this important monument is the responsibility of the Parish Council.
The following is dedicated to their memory and others with a connection to Scotter and Susworth.
If you have any more information or photographs that could add to this record, please email: email@example.com
The research carried out by Andrew Sheardown forms the majority of the information shown on this website page. On behalf of the residents of Scotter and Susworth, thank you, without your time and effort, the parish would not have such a comprehensive record of the service carried out during the two world wars of these people.
Thanks are also due to Richard Barwell for his generosity over the years in regularly maintaining the plinth at no cost to the community, when he was the owner of Hemswell Contracting Ltd.
For further information on a person, please click on their name, which will bring up a PDF file. Presently only those shown in blue on the north face have this option. Work is in progress to complete the others.
ARRAND, WALTER ROBERT
BARTLE, SYDNEY ROBERTS
BRUMBY, COLIN STANLEY
BRIGGS, GEORGE (Memorial incorrect)
ARRAND, WILLIAM HENRY
BIRKITT, GEORGE (Memorial incorrect)
EMINSON, BASIL FRANKLIN
EMINSON, RALPH FRANKLIN – DSO
EMINSON, CLARENCE FRANKLIN
EMINSON, JOHN RICHARD
EMINSON, ROBERT GEORGE (Memorial incorrect)
HOLLAND, CHARLIE (Memorial incorrect)
HUNT, CYRIL JAMES
JOLLANS, WILLIAM – MC
LOUGHTON, JOHN THOMAS (Memorial incorrect)
LOUGHTON, ALFRED ERNEST
LOUGHTON, URIAH FRANCIS (Memorial incorrect)
NAYLOR, JOHN JAMES
RICHARDSON, ALBERT LAURENCE
RENNISON, JOHN HENRY
RENNISON, GEORGE WILLIAM
ROBINSON, WILFRED HERBERT
SCUPHOLME, HERBERT JOHN
SKINNER, HERBERT CLARENCE
SARGEANT, JOHN WILLIAM
SERGEANT, JAMES – MM
SNOWDEN, ARTHUR COOK
WINSOR, CHARLES THOMAS (Memorial incorrect)
WILKINSON, HERBERT CHARLES
WAKEFIELD, JOHN THOMAS
Others associated with the parish during the Great War
Deaths not on a parish memorial
BARKER, THOMAS HENRY
CHESWICK, WILLIAM EDWARD
EMINSON, HERBERT LUTHER
FOUNTAIN, THOMAS HENRY
PYECROFT, ALBERT EDWARD
RANYELL, WILLIAM JOHNSON
SERGEANT, CHARLES FRANCIS
WALKER, PERCIVAL THOMAS WATSON
COOK, LAISTER (Susworth – No village memorial erected)
Associated with Scotter
CLAYTON, JOSEPH CYRIL
HEWSON, GEORGE BLACKBURN
LOUGHTON, JOSEPH FREDERICK T
DAY, EMMA (Nurse with French Red Cross)
Associated with Susworth
HUNSLEY, JOHN WILLIAM
PYECROFT, CHARLES HENRY